Introducing the new Smart Fabrics Program at IFAI Expo 2017, including education, discussions, workshop, and contest designed to:
-Facilitate new partnerships, discussion, and ideas
-Give attendees access to experts, materials, and education
-Showcase innovative suppliers
-Create a common understanding among textile, technology, manufacturing, and design
Classroom: Tuesday all day + Wednesday morning, *Register Expo Plus – Advanced Textiles
Explore Smart and interactive textile technologies from mechanical, chemical, and biological to electronic.
E-Textiles Standards Roundtable
Open to all, Thursday 8 – 9:30am
A discussion, moderated by the Department of Commerce, to bring together organizations who are creating standards and find the best way forward.
Open to all, during show floor hours
- Watch Intro to E-Textiles video
- Visit the E-Textiles Workshop suppliers
- Work with experts to assemble an e-textile device
- Network while learning with your hands
Ask the Experts
Open to all, Wednesday Noon – 2pm
A diverse panel of experts will be available to field questions on how to ‘Do It Yourself’. What do you need to bring that really good idea into production? Who do you need to link with? How do you improve the probability of technical success? The panelists represent multidisciplinary fields within the manufacturing value chain: IP, Law, Standards, Flexible Substrates, Electronic Components and Interoperability. The mission is to exchange understanding among the diverse points of view.
Don’t Leave Valuable IP Unprotected
Open to all, Friday 12:30-1:15pm
Intellectual Property attorneys, Elizabeth Ferrill and Clara Jimenez from Finnegan, will provide practical advice that attendees can share with their design teams and seamlessly integrate to their R&D processes.
Open to all, See Schedule
30 Minute, open forum discussions focused on specific e-textiles markets, facilitated by application specific experts. Discussion topics include Bio/Medical, Structures, Apparel, Health/Fitness, Virtual Reality, Home, Protection, Automotive, Military, Sports, and Aerospace
Open to all entrepreneurs, developers, designers, students, engineers, artists, makers, and creators
Pre-registration (complimentary) required
A contest to spur innovative, new e-textiles products with commercial value, using only materials found in the E-Textiles Workshop
- Attend the Advanced Textiles Conference – Smart Fabrics Track
- Teams will be assigned by the on-site Hackathon Advisors: NC State’s Dr. Jesse Jur and Dr. Russell Gorga
- Projects displayed on Friday with winners announced at 9:30 am
- Submit project to the panel of judges by Thursday at 5 pm
- Winning project and materials benefit from publicity. Industry benefits from innovation!
- Prizes (sponsored by IFAI’s ATP division). 1st place team: $1,500. 2nd place team: $500
- Complete the Hackathon Entry Form by September 20.
- Register for your IFAI Expo/Advanced Textiles Conference badge, using instructions you’ll receive by email.
Interested in competing or judging? Contact Casey Strauch
Hackathon Design Challenge Schedule
|Tues||8am||7pm||Advanced Textiles Conference + Networking|
|Wed||8am||11am||Advanced Textiles Conference + Networking|
|Wed||11am||5:30pm||Kickoff and project work|
|Thurs||8am||11am||E-Textiles Standards Roundtable + Keynote|
|Thurs||5pm||5:30pm||Projects due, Judging|
|Fri||9:30am||2pm||Project Presentations and Winner Announcement|
Interested in participating in the Smart Fabrics Program?
Contact Casey Strauch
Smart Fabrics Program Supporters
For additional information, visit these links: